- Your News
This week’s front page features the unveiling of a plaque distinguishing the 100th anniversary of the construction of one of Ashland’s cornerstones, the D.B. Cox Building.
We congratulate them on this achievement.
Too many of Main Street’s old buildings have fallen victim to neglect and obscurity in small towns across the country. Sometimes, big box stores have pushed them out. Sometimes it just costs too much to keep up the old buildings. Ashland should be proud of its downtown character. It should also be proud that such a solid, stately building has stood the test of time, bearing witness to the history of this small town and countless passing trains connecting Ashland to towns and cities as far as the rails could go.
We like to think the forbearers of the Herald-Progress were there on that day in 1913 when D.B. Cox laid the foundation for what would become the “Miller & Rhodes” of Ashland, though we cannot find any record of the account in our hallowed collection of bound volumes, which, yellowed, frail and musty, don’t extend back quite back that far. Time isn’t kind to newsprint, unfortunately.
But still, while moving the volumes that we do have, going back to 1919, a pleasing thought emerged that we were bringing a large (bulky, heavy and awkward to carry, notwithstanding) part of history back to rest in Ashland where it belongs.
While we’ve still got some boxes to unpack, pictures to hang, keys to cut, and all the other drudgery that goes along with moving, it feels right to be putting a paper out again on Thompson Street. Thanks for having us, Ashland.