House fire caused by electrical malfunction

The fire that engulfed a Rocky Ridge Road home this morning was caused by an electrical malfunction, Hanover Fire-EMS spokesperson Jason Williams said in a statement released Wednesday afternoon.

Hanover firefighters on the scene of a house fire on Rocky Ridge Road.

Hanover firefighters on the scene of a house fire on Rocky Ridge Road.

Feb. 5, at 6:22 a.m., Hanover Fire-EMS crews were dispatched to the scene in the 11000 block of Rocky Ridge Road. Upon arrival, fire crews found heavy smoke pouring from the eaves and roof area of the single story brick rancher.

About 20 fire-EMS personnel were able to bring the accidental blaze under control in about 45 minutes. One person was assisted out of the home and transported to an area hospital where she was treated and released for smoke inhalation. Only one person was displaced from the fire and no firefighters were injured.

Williams warned that electrical malfunctions are the leading cause of residential attic fires. Examples include frayed wires, loose electrical connections, broken or overloaded extension cords, or faulty switches and outlets. Other less common causes of attic fires are defective chimney linings, lightning strikes, and fire traveling vertically from a floor below.

Hanover Fire-EMS encourages having a professional perform the following checks to help prevent attic fires: Have your chimney inspected by a professional who will check the interior and exterior of the chimney, including the part running through the attic; check the wiring in your attic, preferably by an electrician, looking for signs of damage, cracked insulation (wire sheathing), and exposed or disconnected wires; and look for signs of burning and charring in the insulation and wood.

Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2014 at 3:33 pm