Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2014 at 9:53 am

After having lost to Glen Allen on their home field just a week earlier 16-10, the Hanover Hawks girls lacrosse team hit I-295 Friday afternoon, not as much to exact revenge as to seize redemption.

Thanks to weather and a lighter schedule before spring break, the Hawks were just 1-1 heading into Friday afternoon’s encounter. A win over the Jaguars to split the season series would give Hanover needed momentum to survive a 15-day wait for their next match, at undefeated rival Atlee.

Hanover High’s Kara Kane drives toward the Glen Allen goal as a Jaguar defender closes in during the Hawks’ decisive 15-10, overtime win Friday.

Hanover High’s Kara Kane drives toward the Glen Allen goal as a Jaguar defender closes in during the Hawks’ decisive 15-10, overtime win Friday.

In a game of runs, Hanover made the run that mattered the most, scoring all five overtime goals to get a victory at Glen Allen, 15-10. Having played the Jaguars just a week earlier helped the Hawks prepare for round two.

“We learned what they liked to do. They really control the draw circle well,” said Hanover head coach William Karn. “Both of us were missing some girls due to this game being played at the start of spring break, and unfortunately for them, they were missing Rachel Wright, who played really well for them in their win.”

The Jaguars certainly missed her early, as Hanover spotted Glen Allen the opening goal, then scored the next six to lead 6-1 with 9:21 left to halftime. Amber Horton and Michelle Knizner each scored twice during the span, and the Hawks seemed in control.

But the homestanding Jags fought back down the first half stretch, scoring four times in 81 seconds, three of the goals tallied by Chloe McGlorick, who led Glen Allen with seven goals. Two more of her scores finished the half deadlocked at 7-7.

“McGlorick would get the ball in the midfield, and she would just go,” Karn noted. “So we talked at halftime about getting a body in front of her as well as (Alyson) Johnson. And we were able to bog things down that way.”

That change helped the second half turn into a defensive struggle. Hanover never led, and found themselves down 10-9 with five minutes left. But Kaela Bickham knotted the game 17 seconds later at 10-10. Johnson was penalized with 1:09 left, and, 14 seconds later, Sarah Belcher had a clear shot for the winning goal. But Emily Benko blocked the shot, forcing overtime.

Knizner scored the first goal of extra time 21 seconds into the first three-minute period. Belcher teamed with Delaney Daniels to score two goals in the first 25 seconds of the second extra session to put the match out of reach.

“We were able to get the draw up really high, got our sticks up to get possession, then just headed down the field,” Belcher explained of the hot Hawks overtime starts. “Our momentum got really high as play continued.”

The Hawks now get set for their April 26 showdown with an Atlee team that will play three times the week after spring break going into the match, and could be 6-0 when Hanover comes calling. It will be the second of four straight road matches for Hanover, who won’t play at home again until May 8 versus Hermitage.

Headlines of the Day