New judge will hear high-profile fatal crash case

Posted on Thursday, August 7, 2014 at 12:03 pm

The Hanover judge hearing a high-profile involuntary manslaughter case involving the death of a well-known mother of three recused himself last week.

Carlson

Carlson

In January, Meg Menzies was struck by an SUV and killed while jogging near Hanover Courthouse with her husband Scott Menzies, a sergeant with the Ashland Police Department. The driver of the vehicle, Michael Carlson, was subsequently charged with involuntary manslaughter after law enforcement determined his blood alcohol content was above the legal limit at the time of the crash.

July 30, Hanover Circuit Court Judge J. Overton Harris said that because he’s a long-time resident of the community and has heard conversations and opinions shared about the case from other citizens, he did not feel right presiding over the matter.

“I think it’d be inappropriate for me to hear it,” Harris said in court.

A new judge will be assigned to the case, which will be back in Circuit Court next week.

Read the Aug. 7 edition of the Herald-Progress for the full story. Call 798-9031 to subscribe today.

Headlines of the Day