Historic Garden Week in Ashland, VA will be conducted on April 18th, 2015 from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. in the ‘Old Church’ area of Hanover County, where Union infantry and calvary passed through on their way to Cold Harbor during the Civil War. All homes on this tour date to the 1700 and 1800s. Celebrate Spring by joining this tour which features National Historic Landmarks and a Revolutionary-era plantation, all of which are located in picturesque Old Church – off route 360, east of Mechanicsville, VA.
The cost of advance tickets for the tour is $25 which includes four historic homes and a church. Advance tickets may be purchased online at www.vagardenweek.org (select Ashland), or at the following local businesses: Ashwood Garden and Nursery, Cross Brothers Grocery Store, Ed’s Landscaping Nursery and Garden Centers, or Through the Garden Gate Antiques. For additional information, contact Ashland@vagardenweek.org. This tour is part of the statewide Garden Club of Virginia 81st Annual Historic Garden Week in Virginia.
The following homes and properties are will be on the tour:
• Upper Marlbourne was built in 1866 by Edmund Ruffin, Jr and except for a brief period, the home remained in the Ruffin family until 1982. This home is furnished with many family heirlooms and antiques, and features works of art by local artists and family.
• Immanuel Episcopal Church was built in 1853 by the congregation of the original ‘Old Church’ that lay to the west of the current church. Immanuel Episcopal Church was converted to a Union hospital during the Cold Harbor campaign, and remains architecturally beautiful today.
• Ingleside was built in 1820 by Carter Braxton III, grandson of the signer of the Declaration of Independence. General Grant camped in the front yard at the beginning of the battle of Cold Harbor, and Ingleside was one of the first stops of Robert E. Lee after Appomattox. Occupied by Dr. William H. Macon during the Civil War, the doctor’s office still stands on the property along with a smokehouse, kitchen house, tenant house, and root cellar. This Federal-style home retains the original hand-blown glass windows, heart-pine flooring, and elaborate woodwork.
• Summer House was built in 1750 by Carter Braxton, the last signer of the Declaration of Independence, and was also used as a hospital during the Civil War. The original structure was a story-and-a-half, one-room-deep home with a full English basement and two dormer bedrooms. Additional wings were added to the home in the 1950s and 1990s. The home is furnished with American antiques, and includes art gathered during the owner’s travels – most notably Inuit art and antique Indian figurines. Set on 10 acres, the home is surrounded by woodland and wildflowers.
• White Plains was built in the 1840s as the Ellett family home. In 1862, the Ellett’s daughter sent word to Confederate troops that the Union cavalry was moving toward Tunstall’s Station. Owing to her warning, four companies of the 46th Virginia Regiment intercepted the Union cavalry and averted an attack on the railroad. The home is now owned by The Honorable and Mrs. Christopher K. Peace, who recently completed the historic rehabilitation of the home, and earned a Preservation Award from Preservation Virginia in 2013.
Historic Garden Week in Virginia is ‘America’s Largest Open House,’ and includes more than 30 tours throughout the state, which attract over 30,000 guests per year. Over the decades, the gardens and grounds of some of Virginia’s most important historic landmarks have been restored with the Historic Garden Week tour proceeds. For additional information, contact Ashland@vagardenweek.org.