The Herald-Progress

Follow Us On:

Hanover Fire-EMS rules fatal fire accidental

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 2:18 pm

            Share on Tumblr

Hanover Fire-EMS has ruled accidental a fire that claimed the life of an elderly Ashland woman Tuesday morning.

Caution tape cordons off the charred home on Cheroy Road.

Caution tape cordons off the charred home on Cheroy Road.

July 22 at 5:45 a.m., Hanover Fire-EMS crews were dispatched to a reported house fire in the 12000 block of Cheroy Road in the Ashland area of Hanover County. Upon arrival, fire crews found heavy fire and smoke pouring from the side and rear of the single story home, Battalion Chief Jason Williams, of Hanover Fire-EMS, said in a statement.

About 25 Fire-EMS personnel made a fast attack on the fire and were able to bring it under control in about 45 minutes.

Prior to the arrival of Fire-EMS personnel, an elderly female was pulled from the home by a neighbor who is an off-duty Henrico firefighter. Williams said that person was taken to VCU Medical Center with life-threatening injuries. Per VCU Medical Center, the victim died at 9:34 a.m.

Though Williams said he did not have the name of the deceased, county property records list the home as belonging to Margaret and Ronald Fontaine.

The Hanover Fire Marshal’s Office has ruled the fire accidental with a probable electrical cause, noting it did not appear to be suspicious in nature.

Hanover Fire-EMS reminds county residents to have working smoke alarms on each floor of their home and outside of each sleeping area and recommends replacing alarms 10 years or older.

Anyone requiring special assistance with smoke alarms should contact the Hanover Fire-EMS Department at (804) 365-6195.